Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I do, I have a problem


They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. 

You may even share my guilty pleasure... Its the Kid's section of the book store. 

Don't get me wrong -- I belong to a book group. I even started it- but I started it because I knew I would never read grown-up books if I didn’t. As a result I feel reasonably well read and can hold up my end of a cocktail party conversation. I’m even glad to have read each book (even the ones I hate) after I’ve finished. 

But when I walk into a bookstore, I go straight to the back, where the kids books are.

It took me a long time to admit to my vice. I really would rather read a book intended for a 12-year-old than any other. There is something wonderful about magic, making friends, navigating school days, loving pets. I love the re-telling of old tales. I love the mind of innocence discovering the dualities of the world.

I want to share the world I love. 

On this blog I'll share my own work – maybe chapters or short pieces.  I'll tell you about books I love. I’ll write about things that inspire me, and I might even share a poem or two of my own (see my other blog – “A Desk of My Own” www.helenmazarakis.com ). I also might wind up posting a lot about Kudzu – a crazy vine that grows in the southern U.S. and is the framework of my own story about a kingdom that exists behind the veil of kudzu. 

But I also want to catch other people's work. I'd like to do guest posts from kids I know (or kids I'd like to meet!)  - illustrations, poetry, story ideas, I'd like to show off illustrations from some of my artist friends. 

Join me -- Bzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment